Resolution for the Martin Luther King Labor Council to Support the Duwamish Tribe’s Fight for Federal Recognition Status
June 17, 2021
WHEREAS, We live in a city that carries the name of the Duwamish Tribe’s Chief that was the lead signatory of the Treaty of Point Elliott in 1855, which led to U.S. settlement in the Salish Sea (Puget Sound) area.
WHEREAS, The U.S. government’s official position on the Duwamish tribe has been held in court limbo for two decades because of a paperwork technicality.
WHEREAS, The United States formally recognizes nearly 600 other Native American tribes and bands.
WHEREAS, Federally recognized tribes have access to federal support for health, education and anti-poverty programs.
THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, The Martin Luther King Labor Council will endorse, advocate and support the Duwamish Tribe’s fight for federal recognition status.
This support will be in the form of:
- Signing on to the Duwamish Tribe’s petition for Federal recognition https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd3BSJaUQIbeQYsyyIm3htbSJt3cvSalFcg0tQPCkkgWivzCA/viewform
- MLK Labor Council letter of support https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UGJvSYHHhnPsBoaYFzV47J9yJ3HCT4r3/view
- Asking our locals to mobilize their members for petition signatures. https://www.change.org/p/federal-recognition-for-the-duwamish-tribe
- Member letters of support.
- Asking our locals to amplify this issue with their union political lobbying teams.
- Mobilizing labor solidarity for any rallies and marches in the campaign for Duwamish Federal recognition.
- Reach out to the Duwamish Tribe to begin a conversation/partnership
- Financial donations from the MLKLC to the campaign for Federal recognition.
- Suggest a monthly contribution to “Real Rent Duwamish”. All funds go directly to the Duwamish Tribe. https://www.realrentduwamish.org/determine-rent.html
- In unity with the Native American and Tribal Leadership, begin all MLKLC meetings with a land acknowledgment that is meaningful and includes a call to action for members to take and resources to connect their locals to such as https://www.realrentduwamish.org/land-acknowledgement.html www.native-land.ca, https://usdac.us/nativeland, #LandAcknowledgmentHotline 1-907-312-5085