MLK Labor is a democratic, worker-run organization.
The MLK Labor Executive Board consists of members representing a variety of industries and constituency groups. The Executive Board, Executive Secretary-Treasurer, President, and Vice President are elected to three-year terms by the delegate body.
MLK Labor Leadership
Katie Garrow, Laborers Local 242
katie (at) mlklabor.org
(She/Her) Katie Garrow was elected to serve as Executive Secretary-Treasurer of MLK Labor in September 2021. Garrow previously served as Deputy Executive Secretary.
Garrow brings years of political, union and community organizing to the position, including five years of executive experience at MLK Labor. Katie got her start in the labor movement by organizing domestic workers and day laborers through a hiring hall in the San Francisco Bay Area. She went on to represent public sector workers at the City of Seattle at PROTEC17, before joining the staff at MLK Labor.
At the Labor Council, Katie’s focus has included a very successful push to grow labor’s political power beyond Seattle and into South King County where union members make up as much as 40% of the electorate. She worked to elect more than 50 union members as mayors, city council members, and school board directors in Seattle and South King County. She has also led the Labor Council’s work around anti-racism, climate change, and workforce development.
Garrow was born into a working-class family in Grays Harbor County in WA, where her father was a union boilermaker and her mother worked in rural economic development. She witnessed firsthand the decline of logging towns like hers in the area. Consequently, she is rooted in the plight of the rural working class but is also passionately devoted to making the labor movement relevant and representative of women, people of color, and LGBTQ workers who have been left out and excluded from our unions and American prosperity. Katie earned a BA in Spanish from Pacific Lutheran University. She lives in South King County with her husband and two stepchildren.
Tom Lambro (He/Him), UFCW Local 3000
Stefan Moritz (He/Him), UNITE HERE Local 8
MLK Labor Staff
- Deputy Executive Secretary-Treasurer: Shaunie Wheeler James (She/Her) – Shaunie (at) MLKLabor.org
- Organizing Director: Peter Hasegawa (He/Him) – Peter (at) MLKLabor.org
- Operations Director: Annie Wise (She/Her) – Annie (at) MLKLabor.org
- Communications Director: Charlie Lapham (He/Him) – Charles (at) MLKLabor.org
- Political and Community Organizer: Corina Yballa (She/They) – Corina (at) MLKLabor.org
- Presidents Organizing Initiative Coordinator: Rigoberto Valdez, Jr. (He/Him) – Rigo (at) MLKLabor.org
- Deputy Presidents Organizing Initiative Director: Pia Rivera-Jones (She/Her) – Pia (at) MLKLabor.org
- Strategic Researcher: Nina Daro (she/her) – Nina (at) MLKLabor.org
MLK Labor Executive Board
The Executive Board meets on the third Wednesday of every month at 2 PM.
Elected Trustees (Members-At-Large)
- Marsha Botzer (She/Her), National Writers Union Local 1981
- Nicole Grant (She/Her), IBEW 46
- Chris Lampkin, (He/Him), SEIU Healthcare 1199NW
- Joe Mizrahi, (He/Him), UFCW 3000
Board Members Representing Trade Sections
- Aircraft Trades: Ryan Rule (He/Him), SPEEA/IFPTE 2001
- Automotive Trades: Vacant
- Building Trades: Monty Anderson, (He/Him), Seattle/King County Building Trades
- Childcare and Early Learning: Erin Haick, (She/Her). SEIU 925
- Entertainment Trades: Nate Omdal, (He/Him), Musicians 76-493
- Food and Allied Trades: Eunice How, UNITE HERE Local 8
- Health Care: Robin Wyss (She/Her), SEIU Healthcare 1199NW
- Higher Education: Sam Sumpter (They/Them), UAW 4121
- Industrial Trades: Jason Chan (He/Him), Machinists 751
- K-12: Vallerie Fisher (She/Her), Seattle Education Association
- Maritime: Lars Turner (He/Him), Masters, Mates, and Pilots
- Metal Trades: Todd Mitchell (He/Him), Heat and Frost Insulators 7
- Private Sector: Zenia Javalera (She/Her), SEIU 6
- Public Safety: Kenny Stuart (He/Him), IAFF 27
- Public Sector: Mary Keefe (She/Her), Teamsters 763
- Retail: Joshua Johnson, UFCW 3000
- Transportation: Jeremy Une (He/Him), ATU 587
Board Members Representing Constituency Groups
- A. Philip Randolph Institute: Paul Thompson (He/Him), Laborers 242
- Asian Pacific American Labor Alliance: Ligaya Domingo (She/Her), SEIU Healthcare 1199NW
- Coalition of Black Trade Unionists: Claude Burfect (He/Him), WFSE 341
- Coalition of Labor Union Women: Jo Blake, IAM 751
- Labor Council for Latin American Advancement: Indira Trejo, UFCW 3000
- Pride At Work: Mike Andrew (He/Him), UAW 1981
- Washington Alliance for Retired Americans: Don Bennett (He/Him), Lettercarriers 79