The dishwasher is responsible for maintaining cleanliness and sanitation standards for dishes, glassware, flatware, pots, pants, etc. using both machine and manual cleaning methods. This position will maintain kitchen, work areas, equipment, and utensils in a clean and orderly condition. You will place clean dishes, utensils, and equipment in storage areas, and will prepare and package individual place settings. May be directed by Managers to: Stock supplies such as food and utensils in serving stations, cupboards, refrigerators, and salad bars. Transfer by hand supplies and equipment between storage areas and work areas. Sort and remove trash, placing it in designated pick up areas.
- Responsible for full cycle; load, run and unload machine ensuring that all dishes, glassware, flatware and silverware are properly cleaned at proper sanitation temperatures and is ready for service.
- Responsible for maintaining cleanliness and sanitation standards for pots, pans and trays that need to be hand washed.
- Sort and rinse dirty dishes, glass, tableware and other cooking utensils and place them in racks to send through dish machine.
- Sort and stack clean and dry dishes.
- Transport clean dishes to cook’s line and other proper storage areas.
- Change dishwater in dish machine every hour.
- Sort and remove trash, placing it in designated pickup areas.
- Fill/empty soak tubs with cleaning/sanitizing solutions.
- Sweep, scrub and mop floors.
- Maintain dish pit clean.
- Must notify Manager anytime dish machine wash or rinse cycle falls below safety standard temperatures and monitor the temperatures throughout the day.
- Clean garbage cans with water or steam.
- Never touch dirty dishes before touching clean dishes without washing hands first.
- Monitor and report any functional or mechanical problems immediately.
- Clean and scrub walls.
- Clean and prepare various foods for cooking and serving.
- Continuously seeks opportunities to improve the customer experience.
- Follows safety and sanitation procedures with all guidelines from OSHA, Department of Public Health and Risk Management.
- Other duties as assigned
*NOTE: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks which are illustrative ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed or assigned by this position.
Knowledge and Skills
- Able to communicate with the team.
- Sense of urgency.
- Customer service.
- Ability to move throughout the café and kitchen in a safe manner.
- Keep all service and cooking equipment clean and ready for use.
- Professional appearance.
- Knows where things are in the kitchen and how to use the equipment.
Education and Work Experience
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- 0-1-year experience in a full-service kitchen environment.
The work environment for Dish Machine Operators includes the following large kitchen environment elements and exposures.
- The noise level in the work environment is high.
- The job operates in a corporate kitchen.
- Fast paced kitchen, frequently changing environment in which interruptions are considered normal.
- Work environment involved constant exposure to working with chemicals.
- Work environment entails constant exposure to food allergens such as milk, egg, nuts, fish, shellfish, wheat and soy.
- High sense of urgency.
- Slippery/uneven surfaces may be encountered.
- Must have and maintain an active Handlers’ Card (ServSafe) and adhere to local food handler requirement.
- Maintain an exceptional personal record of punctuality and attendance.
- Consistently perform all duties in a responsible and efficient manner.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Constantly use of hands to load washer, dishes, pots & pants and eating utensils.
- Constantly stacks dishes and manipulating containers to put into washer line.
- Frequent rotation of body.
- constant lifting and carrying garbage, trash bags, trays with dishes and utensils, stack of dishes, pots and pans up to 20 pounds.
- Frequently lifting and carrying stack of dishes, pots & pants that weigh between 21-30 lbs.
- Occasionally lifting and carrying objects that weight between 30-40 lbs. Items weighing over 40 lbs. must be carried by two (2) people.
- Constantly reaching across conveyor of washer to place/pick up pots, and utensils.
- Frequently reaching above shoulder.
- Constantly reaching outward to use rinse hose, retrieve or replace storage bins on overhead racks.
- Constantly pushing and pulling carts both loaded and unloaded.
- Good or correctable vision is required to safely perform all duties.
- Frequent standing, walking, bending and twisting are required to perform duties. Some squatting and kneeling may be required while cleaning/restocking. Good balance required to safely perform all assigned tasks.
- Environmental demands include frequently exposure to steam at the front of the washer line, occasionally using step ladder to get items at top of shelves, constant exposure to wet floor and the noise level in the work environment is high.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.