The Building Coordinator (BC) is a lead staff position that works closely with the Building Manager to facilitate and coordinate program operations, including directing staff activities and tasks to be completed as assigned by the Building Manager. The Building Coordinator is responsible for supporting the Building Manager by performing property management tasks, e.g., drafting tenant notices and entering information into the property management data base. The BC enforces building rules and implements management’s response to rule violations and inappropriate tenant behavior. The BC maintains the safety and security of the building and tenants and performs janitorial and maintenance tasks. In the absence of the building manager, the Building Coordinator is responsible for reporting and resolving building and tenant emergencies. The BC maintains service-delivery based on the values inherent in Plymouth’s mission, the principles of cultural proficiency and anti-racism, the tenets of harm reduction, and the ‘housing first’ philosophy.
The position is generally assigned to an individual Plymouth building, but may be reassigned on a short- or long-term basis or shared between properties, based on business/service needs.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
(Responsibilities, accountabilities, and competencies; may not include all duties of this job)
- Maintains order and a safe, sanitary living and work environment including offices, outside areas and grounds by conducting floor checks, perimeter checks and unit inspections.
- Maintains building security at all times by following building/staff safety and emergency procedures according to Plymouth policies.
- Monitors all areas of the building and systems with the use of security cameras and DVR.
- Monitors building to ensure only authorized persons enter the building and all guests follow building rules and policies.
- Logs tenant guests in and out of building.
- Checks and confirms validity of guest ID.
- Checks agency ban list prior to permitting guests entry to the building.
- Maintains monthly guest log sheets.
- Processes overnight guest requests.
- Makes regular checks of common areas to ensure tenant safety.
- Writes up Incident Reports as appropriate.
- Unlocks tenant doors when tenant locked out.
- Supports and enforces building rules and responds to tenant complaints.
- Responds to building emergencies and takes action within Plymouth guidelines.
- Contacts and/or coordinates 911, police, detox, fire department, and other service agencies and appropriate staff for assistance as needed according to Plymouth policies.
- Provides after hours support to building staff when covering for the Building Manager, responding to calls within 15 minutes, and arriving on-site within 30 minutes as needed.
- Makes referrals to social service staff and building manager as appropriate.
- Completes work order requests as needed.
- Operates intercom system by communicating with tenant rooms when guests arrive.
- Works extra hours and/or different shifts as needed due to staff illness, no shows, vacations and open positions in order to maintain building coverage and operations. At times this schedule adjustment can be mandatory.
- Builds effective and professional relationships with tenants.
- Handles crisis intervention and mediation for conflicts among tenants in collaboration with social services staff as directed by Building Manager.
- Attends tenant and community meetings as requested.
- Investigates and resolves tenant concerns and complaints.
- Works closely with social service staff to respond to tenant concerns and inappropriate tenant behavior in a timely manner.
- Participates in meetings between social services and building management team members as needed when schedule will allow.
- Leads/facilitates tenant activities.
- Clean common baths, showers, windows and toilets.
- Cleans assigned common areas, including vacuuming carpets and mopping floors.
- Tracks and maintains supply inventory.
- Takes out trash and rotates dumpsters.
- Stocks paper products in bathrooms as necessary.
- Cleans building entry and sidewalks.
- Works with building staff in preparing vacant units.
- Performs light landscaping and lawn maintenance.
- Unclogs and repairs toilets, sinks, showers and bathtubs.
- Performs electrical repairs, e.g., re-setting blown fuses, replacing light switches and receptacles.
- Ability to change unit locks, smoke detectors, appliances, and lights...
- Familiar with location of shut-offs (water, electrical, heat) and how to perform emergency shut-offs.
- Hang unit window blinds/coverings.
- Assists with periodic unit safety checks and move-out unit inspections.
- Moves building and unit furniture.
- Ability to re-set elevator.
- Assists with physical evictions.
- Supports and enforces building rules fairly and consistently.
- Ensures the removal of unauthorized persons within Plymouth guidelines.
- Enforces Plymouth’s guest policies and procedures.
- Coordinates other staff activities to ensure completion of tasks as assigned by the Building Manager.
- Investigates tenant concerns and complaints.
- Acts on behalf of building manager to direct staff and program activities.
- Ability to use office machines to file, fax, scan and photocopy.
- Maintains various daily logs of building activities and building records.
- Answers phone and follows proper phone procedures.
- Completes and/or processes documentation forms such as Incident Reports, Tenant Grievances, work orders, Notices to Vacate, and smooth move forms.
- Learns and uses property management program to enter tenant rents, move-ins, move outs and related leasing information.
- Uses MS Office programs for email, scheduling appointments, writing reports and organizing information and files.
- Assists with gathering of tenant information and tenant paperwork including re-certification information as necessary.
- Uses and uses property management program to enter tenant rents, move-ins, move outs and related leasing information.
- Works with social services staff and tenants to complete and process re-certification documents.
- Collects rent and issues rent receipts.
- Shows vacant units.
- Completes move-in paperwork and orientation with new tenants.
- Completes and serves tenant notices, e.g., rent reminders, 3 day notices, 10 day notices as directed by the Building Manager.
- Distributes flyers and notices.
- Coordinates activities and work performed by contractors and PHG maintenance staff.
- Orders office and janitorial supplies and maintains inventories.
- Prepares reports.
- Attends mandatory meetings.
- Participates and contributes to meeting of team goals.
- Supports the department and agency by working in another building upon request.
- Performs other work-related duties as requested by the Building Manager, and/or the Portfolio Manager.