Request for Proposal: Redesigned Union Job Search Website for MLK Labor
February 1, 2024
Issued by: MLK Labor
unionhiringhall.org Co-Coordinator: Pia Rivera-Jones
Deadline for proposal submission: 02/29/2024
The Martin Luther King, Jr. County Labor Council (MLK Labor), with funding from the federal Department of Labor, is in need of a redesigned job search website exclusively for union-represented positions (unionhiringhall.org). We are accepting proposals to find a qualified web developer to build this website per the understanding of our audience we have developed over the last 3 years and the timelines stipulated by our federal grant. Our goals for our new website are to:
- Have a standalone, self-indexing union job search website (unionhiringhall.org)
- Make union jobs accessible and available to more workers in King County
- Streamline and modernize our user interface
- Highlight upcoming union job fairs, apprenticeship programs, etc.
- Integrate helpful resources and translations to job seekers navigating their job search
This request for proposal’s objective is to find a web development firm or contractor that will provide the best overall value and results for our organization. We aim to have our website finished by June 1, 2024 to fulfill the requirements of our federal grant. This request is for the initial build of the minimum viable product with the development of additional updates and deliverables quarterly through 2025.
MLK Labor is the central body of labor organizations in King County, Washington. We are affiliated with the National AFL-CIO, the central labor organization in the United States, representing more than 13 million working people. Our mission is to unify all labor organizations in King County to build power and strength for all workers.
MLK Labor’s union jobs platform is designed to offer workers a pathway to high-road careers with dignity on the job while helping employers recruit and retain qualified workers. We developed the first iteration of our union jobs platform within our existing WordPress site in 2021 using the plug-ins and templates we could access. It has remained largely unchanged to this day and has exceeded the capacity of both our web host and our staff. It is also not as accessible or mobile-compatible as we would like our new site to be.
We would like a new union job search website that is self-indexing, modern, mobile-compatible, and accessible to people with limited English or low vision to replace our old platform. This website should include:
- A sleek, inviting homepage allowing users to search jobs right away
- A job board that is self-indexing but can also receive manual input by staff and employers via a content management system or similar system
- An easy-to-navigate job search page including a comprehensive query-builder
- A section for unions/union employers to log in and manually upload open positions
- A section for job seekers to access resources, language support, etc. that can be updated by our staff via a content management system
- User Dashboards where job seekers can make accounts on the site and track their applications
- Pages where job seekers can find out about upcoming union job fairs or other union events that can be updated by our staff via a content management system
- A section where job seekers can learn more about our organization, the union difference, and how to contact us
- 3rd Party Sign In to make creating accounts more accessible for our users
- A multilingual chatbot that assists job seekers with questions or issues they are having with the application process
- Any other updates or features that become necessary during the initial build
We are receptive to additional pages if you feel they would benefit our mission. You would be responsible for the following tasks for this project:
- Search engine optimization
- Mobile device optimization
- Front-end and back-end coding
- Accessibility for limited-vision users
- Testing and quality assurance
- Training to help us become familiar with the content management system and the process for updating the site
- Implementing additional deliverable features between the site launch and the end of the grant term
- Performing maintenance and updates on the site through 2025
We have a budget of $70,000, with an additional maintenance budget of $24,000, broken down to: $50,000 for the initial build, and $44,000 for development of additional features and maintenance through the end of 2025. We would like to employ a web development firm or contractor who has worked on search-based, high-traffic websites previously, ideally in the employment sector with a labor or nonprofit lens.
Your proposal should follow the format below:
- Executive summary
- Background information about your business
- Why we should choose your business over other vendors
- Relevant experience that would help you deliver our project
- Proposed alterations or feasibility based on our basic sitemap
- The software and programming languages you intend to use and why you believe they are a good choice
- Fixed price for the project with an itemized costing
- The amount of time you expect the project to take
- Include name, contact details and website URLs for at least three previous clients
- Any terms and conditions for working with you
Interested vendors should email firstname.lastname@example.org to request our initial sitemap to develop their proposal.
Please submit your proposal in .pdf format to email@example.com by February 29, 2024.
MLK Labor will evaluate the proposals based on the following criteria:
- Responsiveness to the required, outlined in this RFP
- Relevant past experience and performance
- Samples of your work
- Testimonials from past clients
- Quoted cost of the project
- Interest in mission-based, non-profit work with particular regard to labor
- Preference will be given to unionized providers
MLK Labor reserves the right to award the contract to the vendor that best meets these criteria, as determined by MLK Labor.
RFP and project timelines
MLK Labor’s timeline for RFP and project is as follows:
Request for proposal issuance
Deadline for proposal submission
Selection of vendor
New website build begins
Minimum Viable Product completion
Vendors may propose an earlier completion date in their proposal.