LOCATION: Denny Park and Columbia Court Apartments – Seattle, Washington
POSTING DATE: 10/11/2023
REPORTS TO: Area Manager
HOURS: Full time, 40 hours per week, may include some evenings and weekends. Emergency pager duties are required which will include some weekday and weekend on call duties that may be after hours.
PAY RANGE: $27.00-33.00 per hour, DOE
BENEFITS: Medical, dental, vision, retirement, life insurance, long term disability insurance and sick leave are available to employees. Employees accrue 116 hours of vacation during the first year and receive 11 paid holidays. (Prorated for part-time employees).
POSITION TYPE: Non-exempt position. This is a unionized position, represented by Local 8 of the Office of Professional Employees International Union (OPEIU).
The Maintenance Technician will be primarily responsible for conducting routine, preventative, and emergency repairs.
- Serve as a field representative of the maintenance department of LIHI.
- Represent LIHI in a professional manner as reflected by personal appearance, attention to detail, jobsite cleanliness, customer service and safety.
- Document and record all work, purchases, travel, accidents, and any other related items in a timely, professional manner.
- Participate with other maintenance personnel in a plan for sharing on-call duties. This will include evening/weekend emergency pager responsibilities for the department. Roving duties as assigned.
- Perform regularly scheduled, turnover and emergency maintenance tasks on properties including, but not limited to inspections, carpentry, drywall repair, interior and exterior painting, electrical work, appliance troubleshooting & repairs, plumbing work, finish carpentry, framing, changing lock cylinders, removing/installing locks & associated hardware, and general handyman duties.
- Perform construction and other special projects as needed including, but not limited to, renovations, remodels, concrete and brick work, siding and roofing, and electrical line upgrades, and plumbing repairs/upgrades.
- Maintain all mechanical equipment in good serviceable condition.
- Maintain property grounds and landscaping.
- Assist the development department with punch lists, due diligence, walk-throughs, warranty work, and special tasks as needed.
- Utilize PPE equipment and follow PPE protocols.
- Clean up and maintain work areas regularly and appropriately including the maintenance shop area and storage areas.
- Flex work hours depending on scheduled daily tasks, vendor appointments, inspections, or special projects.
- Complete work in a timely, professional, and proper manner.
- Perform regular janitorial duties including but not limited to daily cleaning of the common areas, cleaning up any trash on the grounds, blowing curbs, and ensuring all trash & recycling receptacles are prepared for weekly pickups.
- Coordinate bids on large projects and supervise subcontractors as needed.
- Evaluate properties for proactive maintenance needs, developing an active ability to recognize problem areas while they are still manageable.
- Meet regularly with property managers to encourage clear communication and teamwork. Assist in tracking the budget.
- Record all inspections and related maintenance on appropriate forms in an accurate and timely manner.
- Prioritize all work to minimize vacancy loss, prevent property damage, and provide service to residents.
- Order all supplies and equipment as needed within the maintenance budget.
- Proficiently utilize online software to enter and submit timecard information, time off request, and other as required and on time.
- Proficiently utilize online software including but not limited to scanning & attaching receipts, code credit card charges, generate reports for credit card charges, generate reports for mileage reimbursements, and submit monthly reports on time.
- Engage in online training including but not limited to Grace Hill and comply with training deadlines.
- Daily engagement with reviewing and responding to work emails.
- Daily check-ins with the Maintenance Deployment Manager and/or Facilities Director.
- 4 years’ experience in building maintenance including carpentry, electrical, and plumbing. Must be knowledgeable in repairs of doors, walls, floors, plumbing, light fixtures, appliances, locks, etc.
- Experience working with a diverse population.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Regular access to a vehicle and general maintenance tools.
- Proficiency in MS Excel, MS Word, Google Docs/Sheets, and company email at an intermediate level for time sheets and other monthly reports.
- Must pass criminal background checks and drug screening test.
Preferred Qualification: Washington State Labor and Industries 07-B Residential Electrical Maintenance Certification.
The Low Income Housing Institute is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified members of historically marginalized and underrepresented communities are encouraged to apply. LIHI participates in the e-verify system.