Job Summary: As a key leader of our Prepared Foods Department, this position is responsible for assisting the Prepared Foods Team Leader and Prepared Foods Assistant Team Leader with product management, food safety, quality control, merchandising, sales generation, gross margins, labor and general expense control, personnel development, customer service, and profitability within the production functions of the Prepared Foods Department. This position is also responsible for the education of customers and team members in the areas of product selections, recipe ideas, and meal solutions. Responsible for leadership of Prepared Foods Team Members working in production.
Specific Job Duties:
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assists the Prepared Foods Team Leader and Prepared Foods Assistant Team Leader with developing and maintaining product displays to create an exciting marketplace; strives to develop displays that pique customer interest and impact on customer buying trends.
- Ensures proficiency in production tasks; consistently achieves all food preparation guidelines, including full compliance with established recipe program; ensures prepared food consistency, quality, freshness, and portion control; works to guarantee products are properly labeled.
- Ensures effective ordering of product necessary for Prepared Foods Department production; maintains product inventory at a level that promotes effective sales merchandising and maximizes sales growth.
- Demonstrates effective inventory control, thereby minimizing unnecessary cost associated with excessive inventory, including supplies.
- Participates in determining order quantities and establishing cost of goods; effectively interacts with vendors as needed.
- Maintains and manages stocking standards that ensure high product quality, including established rotation procedures. Incorporates cleaning with stocking and rotation requirements.
- In partnership with the Prepared Foods Team Leader and Prepared Foods Assistant Team Leader, determines daily projects and activities of production employees; ensures daily tasks and assignments are accomplished correctly and in a timely manner.
- Leads and readily participates in product promotions and focuses.
- Adheres to all food safety and sanitation requirements. Consistently demonstrates knowledge of HACCP and Department of Health provisions, shares knowledge with team members for the purpose of training.
- Trains team members and provides performance feedback, coaching, and counseling.
- Effectively performs physical inventory on a quarterly basis, or as needed.
Skills Required / Qualifications:
Candidates will be selected from applicants having the best combination of the following qualifications:
- Minimum two years chef, sous chef, or direct kitchen management experience required; one year supervisory experience of five or more employees in a food service environment preferred.
- Must possess a minimum of three years of customer service experience.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously and produce quality output while working within deadlines a must. Sense of urgency required. Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Demonstrates a high level of self-motivation; takes initiative; problem solves.
- Proven ability to positively affect sales generation and manage expenses.
- Possesses strong knowledge of food safety and HACCP/Department of Health guidelines, and inventory/portion control; experience with gross profit and labor percentages.
- Possesses effective merchandising and display skills.
- Possesses comprehensive product information with a proven history of using knowledge to train employees and best service customers. Demonstrates a strong knowledge and understanding of food, including ingredients, applications, pronunciations and culinary skills. Possesses a genuine passion for food.
- Ability to demonstrate and communicate production knowledge and organize production staff; trouble shoots obstacles in production, plans ahead, and determines procedures to eliminate product shortages.
- Effective leadership skills; proven success as a team member. Ability to effectively delegate and follow-through.
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Possesses cutlery skills and demonstrates culinary knowledge of cooking terms and procedures.
- Strong interpersonal and oral communication skills required; effective written communication skills necessary.
- Demonstrates an interest in learning; possesses a strong interest in food and related products.
- Proven ability to interact and perform all job responsibilities with professionalism and confidentiality essential.
What We Offer:
• Competitive pay
• 20% team member discount
• Medical, dental, vision insurance (very low cost to team members)
• Health savings accounts (subject to qualified medical plans)
• Flexible spending arrangements (subject to qualified medical plans)
• Company-funded disability and life insurance
• Employee Assistance Program available to all team members
• Retirement plans available to all team members
• Paid vacation, personal, and holiday time off
• Sick/safe leave provided consistent with local and state requirements
• Reduced cost ORCA Card program for King County team members
• Education support
• Career development opportunities
The specific programs and options available to any given team member are dependent upon eligibility factors such as position, date of hire, work location, and terms of applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO): It is the policy of Metropolitan Market, LLC that all employees and applicants be afforded equal opportunities in employment without regard to race, color, sex (including gender identity and gender stereotypes), national origin, religion, disability, or retaliation for engaging in an EEO protected activity. The Company prohibits discrimination or harassment based on any of these categories, as well as on age, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a parent, military service, or any other bases protected under applicable local, state, or federal law.